Wednesday, January 7, 2009

DisiLLUsionMEnt

An American actress said she stopped believing in Santa Claus when a Santa in a mall she was visiting with her mother asked her for her autograph.

Disillusionment.

My first palpable feeling of disillusionment came at the age of 7. I had a runny nose and was taken to the doctor's, the only place back then where I could browse through film magazines (and of course in beauty parlors mom took me to because I was too young to be left home alone, or because mom felt guilty about getting a facial done while I was home alone. Either ways). That was the year of Maine Pyar Kiya, friendship caps, pigeons and corny one-liners about dostis. Disillusionment crept in when I saw Salman Khan with "another woman" (Manisha Koirala in a light pink dress with hair tied in a yellow ribbon) on the cover page of a magazine. That was my first vivid memory of holding a film magazine with glossy pages in my hands and feeling something akin to an ache in my heart. I worried myself sick, teary eyed, how Bhagyeshree was going to hold herself through THAT?

Disillusionment. (Bhagyeshree's seemed greater and more REAL than mine but disillusionment it was)

Disillusionments, I guess are many. Small and big.

Sometimes, disillusionments stop disillusioning. They become "the way of life". The norm. They do no elicit a reaction.

Disillusionments no longer remain a "let down".

Such a let down!

Disillusioned with disillusionments disillusioning.

7 comments:

Ramya said...

I know what you mean...I remember watching bewitched when I was small and twitching my nose to see if anything happen. Nothing did, and that was such a let down!!!

dharmabum said...

sab maya hai - illusion. :P

J said...

Wamya :)

Bala, an acquaintance once asked, why is it that we consider "illusion" as the most obvious meaning of the word "Maya" and not the other which is "mamta"?
Totally irrelevant to your comment, but don't you think that happens? People think of Maya as mystery, illusion, something esoteric while discounting the other simple, "less-glamorous" "Mamta"?
I loved the name Maya for the mysterious aura around it completely forgetting that it could also mean "mamta". wonder what you have to say...

Anonymous said...

Sabko dishoom dishoom karne ka.




- K.

(Nise nyame noh?)

Freak Goddess said...

but isn't it all an illusion?

Birth, fornication, death! - the only reliable happenings...

everything in between are fillers - illusions!

J said...

Isn't that everything in between birth, fornication, death the MOST FUN part? And that is an ILLUSION? ILLUSION? HIS plan is FUCKED UP!

:)

dharmabum said...

mamta? that means motherly love? i hope i got my hindi correct!!

maya - to me, is one of the most simple, yet complicated concepts. i come from a vendantic standpoint of course, and go beyond the mere linguistic reference to the word.

the word is a 'samas'. by definition, it goes - 'ya ma, sa maya' - meaning, that which is not, is maya. so you see, it ain't so simple and i am still wondering.