Thursday, March 18, 2010

Rabindra Sangeet


I was introduced to Rabindra Sangeet by Sohini.  All my workshops with her are memorable because their memories vividly float on the canvas of Rabindra Sangeet looped by her during our sessions.  It was overwhelming to be in Kolkata, seated in a bare, sparsely furnished room, dancing and engaging in discussions on personal power and somatic healing while it got dark, foggy and pleasantly cold at 5 in the evening, Rabindra Sangeet floating around all day, accompanying us into twilight! It was all so soulful. Well it had to be, it was Bangla.  I guess the unsubstantiated belief that I must have been Bangla in some century, some life, living in Kolkata stems from my otherwise inexplicably intense love (and longing) for all things Bengali.  


I am discovering new melodies each day.  
For a music lover to discover a new genre of music is like embarking on a melodious voyage of discovering harmony newly, sometimes in an unknown and yet soothing language that feels "one's own" and spending time looped in its beauty in myriad moments of deeply private joy that I, through this blog, painfully and inadequately undertake to share!  I am looped and I fail to convey how...


Sukher Lagi Chahe Prem, Prem Mele Na (used in the end credits of Chokher Bali):


No comments: