Sunday, April 12, 2009

KoLkata 2

Kolkata is not “lazy” or “laidback”. It is throbbing passionately, simmering (literally and metaphorically) with only a semblance of laziness if you will. A colleague says, the judgment that Kolkata is lazy may have arisen from a general tendency to label everyone and everything involved with the arts, literature and other such leisurely activities as “laidback”. Kolkata has exemplified aesthetics since forever, thus, falling prey to being labeled if you like. Locals here have options of and time for theatre, concerts, exhibitions and hence not running around like headless chicken in malls in Kandivli, malls in malad, malls in Andheri and malls in Mulund. Not yet! Anyhow, a city which was at the forefront of political, social and artistic reform and movement cannot be lazy, not THEN and not NOW.
I have seen very few beggars in Kolkata and none at all at traffic lights. I do not know the reason. I have seen women, dressed like how we do back in Mumbai, but I have seen very few women. There are still a larger number of independent, quaint homes lining the lanes of Kolkata than high-rises or apartments. This, however, may not be the case after a year. No pigeons (read that Ramya) except for at the Dakshineshwar temple! I have not seen too many fancy cars and the roads seem like the domain of the yellow ambassador cabs. The streets are FULL of them and their size and color makes the swanky esteems and civics look dim-witted, lackluster and boring! The sheer number of these darting yellow blobs with the sun beating down upon them casts a YELLOW glow on the entire frikking city. Kolkata gets its color from them AND from the dusty dark green shutters adorning windows of ALL houses. And I thought the color of Kolkata was RED :-)

Speaking about connections I feel with this place, I discovered something that added to it. My ever so charming hotel is situated right next to a 3 storeyed brick red building by the name of "Jamuna" and anybody entering the lane leading upto my hotel cannot fail to notice the white alphabates bolted vertically on the brick red wall! I see my own name each day as I enter the lane that leads to my hotel. And it feels great!
And to boot, I stumbled across in crowded goriahat on a ballet school by the name of "Udayan".
I love Kolkata!

I return tomorrow and not at all with a sigh of relief as is usually the case. Rather, kolkata is now one of those "living-things" I write about and talk to. We are exchanging good-byes and i have promised to return.

4 comments:

P. Or Y. said...

Ballet?!! Wow.

J said...

Ballet yes, however not the one you would see in a russia or england...in India it is Indian ballet, which essentially means a Kathak or any other dance form only, albeit involving a tale, miming and singing etc. But yeah... Kolkata has these awesome things tucked in corners man!

Ramya said...

I colour places too. For me, Mumbai is red- passionate and vibrant. Chennai is yellow...hot hot hot! Kolkata is yellow and teal...accepting and calm. Delhi is blue...cold cold cold (only in winters) And Ahd'bad is grey (too many pigeons!) Btw...Am moving to kolkata tmow...throw me a going-away party?

J said...

Aww Ramya ... too many pigeons aa! I cant help smile :D What color is Pune? And heyyy Bangalore??
Kolkata is your kind of place too...certainly for a week!