Thursday, June 11, 2009

Pi GoD

Life of Pi adeptly maintains a balance between telling of the fictitious (yet heart wrenching, inspiring, frightening and a lot more) ordeal of Pi and the factual details of the ways of various species. Every page throws up details about tigers, orangutans, hyenas and more! Details that normal people, living a city-life, exposed to the dismal zoos they are exposed to and uninterested in animals beyond the mandatory visits organized by schools to zoos would miss. Being one of those people, these are invaluable and even interesting details which wouldn’t have interested me in any other form or on any other day. However, in the form of Pi’s life in the zoo and then at sea (literally and literary ly), I am fascinated by them. Every page spews vital survival tips. The whole book is one survival guide in literary form and having a philosophical undertone to it. And as I find myself getting tired while with the book and reading the words but not taking them in, I feel I have lost out on something that would have come to my rescue were I to be stranded in the Pacific or the Sunderbans. I read it again just to be safe. I wait till survival facts register and then continue on Pi’s journey hoping the pieces of information have found their way in my long term memory. The book is educating and entertaining at the same time. Also draining with the textbook attention I am giving it! I cannot let a single sentence escape me and that becomes impossible when Martel / Pi launches on his long-drawn spatial descriptions of the life-boat, the position of his fellow survivors, his innovations and manufacturing of things in order to survive and the detailed step by step description of the processes. The reader is required to SEE it all! And I cannot. As I read how he took the rope from behind the oars and pierced holes in the mast only to pull the tarpaulin over the lid of the store box that lay towards the curving stern of the ship which had the gunnel a few inches above the water hoisted with the solar fills…. I lose myself! He ends his long drawn process description with “and my canopy was ready”!

I end the same paragraph with “Phew! However he did it, I am glad his canopy is ready!”

I continue, for the spirit of Pi and for the wonderfulness of the myriad species this book talks to me about.

2 comments:

unpretentious said...

i love descriptions...it makes me live what the character is seeing...exactly y i love books like gone with the wind and kane and able etc.

Now i want to read this book

Jamuna said...

Hey ... this book promises to be a delightful read. More than! While I loved "seeing" Gone With the Wind with its descriptions of dresses and hats and towny visuals... I wonder what about Pi was difficult for me to see! Was it too technical? I think it was that!
But it was technical with a spirit :)